Gemma Correll‘s drawings are the best.
I don’t usually wear rings, but I might just make an exception for this super cool set
What would Mad Men characters’ future look like? (I totally agree that Sally will turn into a punk, btw)
These detention slips are genius (also, her name is essentially Kate Winslett?!)
– Two articles from Cracked, week-old but too cool not to share: 6 mind-blowing substances (the metal that melts in your hand… what?!) and 7 modern ghost towns straight out of sci-fi movies.
– This is the best blog I’ve found this week also thanks to a Cracked article: Distractions in Space. It’s audio transcripts of what the astronauts say while they’re out in space. You’ll be surprised how little they actually talk about space.
– Why mantis shrimp is my new favorite animal (for example, did you know that their eyes have 16 types of color-receptive cones? In comparison, humans only have three – red, green, and blue. And their claws can basically create the Kamehameha Wave like in Dragon Ball?)
– Finally, allow me to present… Mad Men as a CBS comedy (*cue laugh track*)
It’s going to be a round-up filled with Game of Thrones and Mad Men, so please bear with me.
GoT-inspired house sigils for famous website.
Prepare for Mad Men with these amazing illustrations of memorable scenes from last season.
Banana Republic’s new Mad Men collection: it’s a bit too literal, but I have no problem with that.
Love this map of UK music, but no Snow Patrol? Inconceivable!
This is such a great idea: little free libraries to exchange books around your neighborhood (and of course somebody made it in the shape of a TARDIS)
Holland Island in the Chesapeake Bay and other beautiful abandoned places to add to your bucket list (or that post-apocalyptic novel you’re trying to write)
OK, one more from Buzzfeed: the cutest Easter photoshoot ever
– I think everybody and their mom already knew Google Reader is going away. There are plenty of ways to keep in touch with my blog (as you can see on the right sidebar), but if you’re looking for something to replace Google Reader for all of your feeds, Life Hacker has 5 best alternatives to Google Reader. I highly recommend The Old Reader, I’ve imported all of my subscriptions from Google Reader and been using it for a week now.
– From Flavorwire: the geekiest Game of Thrones merchandise. I kinda like one of those umbrellas – so badass. Now if they can make one with the Longclaw handle…
– Speaking of movie merchandise, here are 10 movies that you won’t believe have merchandise tie-ins. A Human Centipede necklace? That’s just wrong.
– How similar are Toy Story and The Walking Dead? You’d be surprised to find out.
– These photos of Paris now and 100 years ago are amazing (there’s a nifty slider in the middle that allows you to view each photo as a whole – I completely missed that the first time.)
It’s been another crazy week, work-wise, and all I want to do is to curl up on the couch and watch some mind-numbing movies. But first let’s get to cool things I found on the ‘Net!
How amazing are these photos of Vietnamese women in 1960’s Saigon? So stylish! (The article is in Vietnamese, but you can still look at the pretty pictures)
Such a gorgeous spring outfit
These T-shirts from Anthropologie are so cute, and there are tons of prints to choose from (my favorite is the black one with the Scottish Terrier, but the dachshunds are adorable too)
Peter Lindbergh recreated Rear Window with Carolyn Murphy and Tobey Macguire. Beautiful.
Is it wrong for me to want this T-shirt?
Spring is here, but that doesn’t mean that I can’t drool on the lovely A/W collection from Australian brand Handsom
Paranormal Cativity. Love it.
– From Flavorwire: 20 embarrassing covers of classic novels. Some of these are really, really bad. (It also reminds me of one of my favorite Cracked article, 15 wildly misleading movie posters from around the world. Oh Poland. You are so insane.)
– From Cracked itself, something fashion-related for once: 8 examples of “cutting-edge” fashion that are clearly practical jokes.
– Adorable shoe clips DIY from Honestly WTF.
– How to find your perfect colors, courtesy of College Fashion (this is more extensive than the ones I’ve seen floating around.)
– American Eagle is selling, get this, spray-on skinny jeans. I’m pretty sure this is a joke, but still… if leggings as pants are not going away anytime soon, then maybe we’re not that far off from spray-on jeans. *shudders*
It’s been kind of a stressful week. Work is crazy busy, then our dog gets some sort of eye infection, then our whole family is sick with sore throat. So let’s just sit back and look at some pretty things, shall we?
How gorgeous is the surreal print of this dress?
I would make a “In Soviet Russia” joke, but I’m stumped by how amazing this outfit is.
Doctor Who chess set! I don’t even play chess, so is it wrong for me to want this?
Interspecies friendship. *Dies of cuteness overdose*
– This is brilliant: 20 better names for famous snack food. “Spray-painted Styrofoam Peanuts” is one of the most accurate.
– From Cracked: 4 most inspiring tributes to spectacular human failure. I’m so sorry I didn’t know about the Museum of Bad Art when I was in Boston, I would’ve visited for sure!
– Also from Cracked, a video this time: what if famous websites were people?
– And finally… it’s two more weeks until Game of Thrones, so in the meantime, please enjoy School of Thrones, where the Starks are the hipsters, the Greyjoys are the swim team, Stannis is a dork, and Danaerys is the new exchange student. It’s quite awesome in its awfulness, though I’m surprised they didn’t make Jon a Goth:
Got a lot of things piled up over the break, so let’s get to them!
A photosynthetic sea slug? Gotta love Mother Nature
Fabulous Edwardian photos that prove street style photography did not start with The Sartorialist
Ron Swanson + Mona Lisa = tea up my nose
The best family costume
Adorable nature photos by Ukrainian photographer Vyacheslav Mishchenko
– In honor of the 85th Academy Award: this amazing poster represents all past Best Picture winners in the Oscar statues. Can you name them all? (I was going to include this in “Stuff” but it wouldn’t be fair because each Oscar would be tiny.)
– Speaking of the Oscars, how about these menus inspired by the Best Picture nominees? (via College Fashion)
– Seems like it’s a Parks & Rec day here on the blog: outfits inspired by Parks and Recreation, also from College Fashion.
– This is a bit old, but here are 25 incredible places that actually exist for you to put on your bucket list.
– From Cracked: 5 Most Secretly Bad-ass Countries. Mostly because Vietnam is #3 (though personally I prefer “The 6 National Anthems That Will Make You Tremble In Fear”. Vietnam’s is #1. Of course it is.)
– And, finally. Ladies and gentlemen, Game of Thrones season 3’s trailer is here. Drum roll, please…
My reaction to this?
Lots of cool things to share with you guys today. Let’s get right to it, shall we?
Amazing ink-and-watercolor illustrations by Colleen Parker
A new item in my bucket list – the Marble Caves in Patagonia, Chile
Where do they sell this skirt and how can I get one?!
Your weekly dose of cuteness: Swallows huddle to keep warm during a snow storm
– Celebrities reading 50 Shades of Grey aloud, ranked from worst to best. I love me some Lord Tywin Lannister, but my favorite has to be George Takei… Oh my, indeed.
– It’s no secret that I’m a cat lady, but you won’t find these creepy cat pictures on my wall.
– The 50th anniversary of Doctor Who will feature all ELEVEN DOCTORS!!! Cue fan girl scream!!!
– What if TV channels were your family?
– This email exchange, which documents a fight between two neighbors, might be the funniest thing you’ve ever seen. I don’t care if it’s real or not.
– And finally, remember the music video I worked on last year? The finished product is here at last! Check it out!
Right, I’m off to help my dad make rice cakes for Lunar New Year. Have a good weekend everybody!
I’ve got the sniffles. It’s just my nose though, which means that my miracle cure is useless against it, and I’m just keeping it at bay with tons of vitamin C and warm tea. So you’ll forgive me if this round-up is a little fragmented.
This belongs more with the “links”, but I want to share the photo: Mad Men is coming back in April, and looks like the seventies are not so far away… love it!
Also coming back in late March: Game of Thrones. I’m extra excited for this season, because Gary Lightbody from Snow Patrol is going to have a cameo (the show is shot in Northern Ireland, and Snow Patrol is a NI band)
This is a cheese pencil. Must… get… one…
Petting chart for cats (there’s also one for dogs, which is exactly what you expect)
I love a good visual comparison, and this Outfits & Landscapes series is simply amazing
Adorableness of the Week: Shetland ponies in Fair Isle sweaters!
– If you’re like me, then Etsy is the place to find rare vintage and handcrafted things. But thanks to Cracked, I now know there’s a dark, disturbing, serial-killer side to Etsy as well.
– Also from Cracked, here are 8 vintage ads ripped directly from your nightmare. Not every ad man back then was Don Draper, apparently.
– Kendra of Closet Confections has a super helpful guide on how to create the ultimate capsule wardrobe.
– Outfits inspired by Firefly, courtesy of College Fashion. I approve.