… wear stripes. It’s my third striped shirt in one week. Hey, what can I say? They go with everything. My mom got this shirt for me at our version of WalMart because it was dirt cheap, which also means that the quality is not the best, but it’s OK on cooler, dryer days (by that I mean it’s in the lower 90s and the humidity is under 70%) and it’ll work well for layering in the fall.
Shirt: Vietnamese shop, Skirt: hand-me-down, Belt: from a Target dress, Flats: thrifted, Pin: vintage
I’m linking up with Sunday Style on Plane Pretty!
I was assigned as the secretary for the thesis committee at school today. I’ve never been a part of any thesis committee except on the other side of it (back in grad school we called it “the firing squad”), so I stumbled a bit at what to do. I did ask my boss, twice, but she was never very specific. That’s the problem with me though – I tend to micro-manage, so I have to have very specific details on my job, otherwise I’d flounder. Well, I have to remember to not be afraid and ask for specifics next time.
Anyway, I skipped the “Shoe” challenge of the We Love Target link-up because I have no shoes from Target. Not sure if it has anything to do with the fact that two of my local Targets are right next to Payless… (Actually I did buy my first pair of flats from Target but they went to Goodwill when I moved.) So here’s my “favorite score” from Target – this blouse. One that I can wear now anyway. My absolutely favorite Target score is my mustard cardigan, which, again, no. Not in Hanoi in late May.
Blouse: Target, Brooch: vintage
Skirt, belt, loafers: thrifted
Today I’m joining the We Love Target link-up with Whitney from Along the Lines of Style and Heidi from Literate & Stylish. I do miss Target, almost as much as I miss thrifting, so I’m kind of surprised to realize that I actually don’t have that much Target stuff. Mostly cardigans and tights, which I don’t even want to think about in this 90+ weather. Luckily I do have a few summery tops from Target. In the end I went with this T-shirt, even though it’s technically thrifted, because I wanted to wear these shorts and it’s the only one that goes with them.
By the way, these shorts that are nearly as old as me, can you believe it? My sister used to wear them in middle school, and then I wore them in middle school. They need to be let out quite a bit in the waist, but they’re still as good as new. Well, except for the wrinkles. I honestly did not realize how wrinkled they were until I looked at the photos. My apologies.
Top: Target (thrifted), Short: old, Loafers & Belt: thrifted
Another not-so-great outfit, but I don’t have to go into the office today, and honestly, it’s getting so hot here I don’t even feel like trying anymore. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going back to reading Sandman.
T-shirt: Walmart, Skirt & Flats: thrifted, Belt: Forever21
Oh man, I did not realize how pale my legs are until I looked at these photos. It’s not the first time I went barelegged this spring, but it’s not as noticeable because I always try to take pictures out in the sun instead of in the shades. My apologies. I’d totally understand if you react like this.
Dress: Vietnamese shop, Cardigan & Flats: thrifted, Belt: from a Target dress, Pin: vintage
I’ve been tagged by Kate of The Perpetual Student’s Wife in the “5 Random Facts” thing that is going around (OK that makes it sound like a stomach bug), so here goes:
1. This shirt was my mom’s, I just found it after another closet purge, and I’m looking for some loose blouses right now so it’s perfect.
2. Mosquito season has begun, and I’ve returned to my post as the official Mosquito Hunter of my family. We have these things that looks like a tennis racket, but the netting is electrified, and when you zap a mosquito with it, it makes the most satisfying pop. I may enjoy that a little too much…
3. I haven’t been to a lot of concerts. Well, OK, I’ve only been to two: Snow Patrol back in LA & Simple Plan for MTV Exit here in Hanoi. But then again there are only a handful of bands I’d like to see live: Linkin Park, Snow Patrol (I’d sell the first knuckles of my hand, à la Davos Seaworth, to see them live again), then maybe Athlete and Travis (but they haven’t done anything new in forever). Oh and Lisa Hannigan. I’d love to have been able to see Detektivbyrån live before they broke up too.
4. I miss baking. We don’t have an oven here and there’s no room for it anyway, but my sister is going to get one for her apartment, so I’m planning on visiting her every weekend to bake bread and cookies and stuff. I’ll chip in if I have to.
5. I’m doing this to avoid reading the scripts I’m supposed to be reading, so better get back to that.
Incidentally, this outfit reminds me of Kate too, though she’d look a lot more put-together. She can rock the skinny black pants and loose blouse like no other.
I used to tag people back in this kind of things, but now I don’t want anybody to feel left out, so go ahead to do the 5 things if you want to. I’d love to read them!
Shirt: hand-me-down, Cardigan: Forever21, Pants & Loafers: thrifted, Necklace: self-made
Day… uh, 6 of Take One, Pass It On:
I used to be a real morning bird. It comes from having to wake up early to catch the bus to school for twelve years, and even during my college and grad school days I still managed to get up fairly early. Lately though, I’ve been staying up later and later, because it’s the only time I can write – I can’t seem to concentrate during the day. I don’t like it, because I feel so lazy getting up late in the morning, plus I have to eat breakfast by myself. But at least it’s paying off; I’m steadily hitting 1000 words a day, and getting closer to the finishing line. The story still reads like a Vietnamese remake of American Gods, but I’ve decided not to worry about that right now.
And yes, that’s a Watchmen reference in the post title. Back in LA my friends and I have once discussed dressing up as gender-swapped Watchmen for Halloween, and I picked Nite Owl – Nite Owl II, to be exact. I would’ve liked to be Rorschach – he’s more me, and that costume would’ve been a lot simpler. Alas, he was already taken.
… Come to think of it, my story is a bit like Watchmen too.
T-shirt: Old Navy, Jeans: refashioned by me
Loafers: thrifted, Necklace: Modcloth