The Belt

blue striped shirt navy jeans black oxfords by 14 shades of grey

I have to admit, I had no idea what to do about this week’s SIA. It’s a piece of street art, so it’s too colorful for my usual palette of black, white, gray, and blue. At first, I thought maybe a graphic tee would do the trick, but then I remembered I don’t have graphic tees in my closet anymore except for the old ones I wear to bed. In the end, I looked more closely at the piece and saw that it features a lot of stairs, windows, and fences, and those I could recreate with stripes. I used my silk scarf as a belt (it was too hot to actually wear it as a scarf) for some added colors and patterns. Plus, the mural is featured in a street in Detroit called “The Belt”, so I thought it was only appropriate. Finally, I paired it with jeans and my black oxfords to echo the strong, bold lines of the piece. More loosely interpreted than usual, but I’m happy with it!

Don’t forget to drop by Erin’s blog tomorrow to see the full round-up.

blue striped shirt navy jeans by 14 shades of greyblue striped shirt navy jeans black oxfords by 14 shades of grey

navy jeans black oxfords by 14 shades of greyblue striped shirt navy jeans scarf belt by 14 shades of grey

Shirt: Mango, Jeans: H&M, Scarf: hand-me-down, Oxfords: Vagabond

Advertisements

2 Comments on “The Belt”

  1. Mike says:

    I think that you did a great job Salazar. You were able to come up with a great outfit for this SIA, even though it presented a challenge for you. I think it works so well! And may I say how I cool I think it was for you to use your scarf as a belt (nice way to incorporate it without actually having to wear it due to the heat there!)!

    As for me, I had a similar problem in that 95% of my clothes are black (the remaining 5% are the occasional color Polo shirts that you occasionally see in past SIA challenges, along with a few other random shirts that aren’t black like my striped ones). And rather than do the same old thing that I usually do whenever we have a rather colorful SIA challenge, I came up with something that was kind of unique (and waaay out of my comfort zone) so you’ll see it tomorrow. I hope that it will not make me look too juvenile…

  2. Kezzie says:

    I can see where you went with this! Tis good esp given your minimal aesthetic! I used to have the perfect tunic for this picture- it was a patchwork of clashing prints but i culled it ages ago!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s