Weekend Round-Up: Art and DinosaurPosted: February 4, 2012
Totally random subtitle for the post, of course, it’s just that I couldn’t think of anything else, and I have a couple of links about art and the song of the week is from the album Velociraptor! So… yeah.
LINKS OF THE WEEK:
– This editorial is quite well done, but I wouldn’t think about including it if it wasn’t from Elle Vietnam. I didn’t even know that Vietnam has its own version of Elle! Also, gorgeous hair.
– The spring lookbook from Current/Elliott is lovely. Polka dot pants, anyone?
– I don’t think it’s turtleneck weather here in LA anymore, but if it’s still cold where you are, Elaine of Clothed Much has four cool variations on the same black turtleneck.
– Again, not really applicable for LA anymore (sad, that), but here are some ideas on how to wear an over-sized sweater without looking frumpy.
– Have you ever been asked that annoying question, “Why are you so dressed up?” and not sure how to answer? Here are some suggestions.
– Random links that are somehow all about art: first, the cute illustrations from the Soviet edition of The Hobbit; second, some insane works of art that you’ll need a microscope to appreciate; and finally, an awesome light painting.
BLOG OF THE WEEK: Coco Maria by Nicole. This is a recent discovery, but I was immediately drawn to Nicole’s style, which is simple but cute and has just the right touch of quirkiness. She also writes poems (I can’t write poetry – I think it has something to do with the fact that English is my second language – so I have respect for anyone who can conjure up that kind of visual language and imagery), and this line in her “About” blurb: “I live in a big city, and am always trying to find beautiful places tucked away in-between buildings, suburbs and department stores” might as well be describing me.
BOOK OF THE WEEK: Hey, I’m keeping with the dinosaur theme, so why not – “I’m a T-Rex!” by Dennis R. Shealy. This is in the “Little Golden Book” series, and my friend Debbi bought it for me for Christmas, simply because she wanted to give it to someone but there’s no little kid in her circle of acquaintances (it shows how well she knows me.) There’s only one thing I can say about the book: never before has T-Rex been so adorable. I’m saving this for my niece. That kid needs more dinosaurs in her life.
SONG OF THE WEEK: “Re-wired” by Kasabian. I’ve been listening to their latest album (Velociraptor!) a lot lately; it’s so fun and full of energy. If I worked out (ha!), this would’ve been my workout music.