Dress Your Best: Day 1Posted: June 22, 2011
The ladies of Academichic have started their Dress Your Best feature again, and I’m participating. The rules are simple: dress to highlight parts of your body that you love, rather than minimizing those that you don’t like.
I have what I think is a pretty nonchalant opinion on body image. I just don’t think about it, as long as I look good to me. But I think this is a good exercise to start paying more attention to your body and celebrate it. Here are my list of what I love about my body:
1. My hair – fine and thick. I refuse to do anything to it (I don’t even use conditioner), and I only wear it in two styles – in a ponytail or a braid – so it’ll be interesting to see how I’ll “dress my best” with it.
2. My legs – I never paid them much attention until I started wearing more dress/skirt/skinny jeans. They’re a little short and always covered in scratches and bruises (I’m the biggest klutz), but they’re straight and strong.
3. My broad shoulders – they make me look more athletic than I am
4. My neck – not too long, not too short, but just right. That combined with the shoulders give me a pretty good neckline too.
5. My bust – again, just right
So, my outfit today is mostly focused on my legs (the skirt is shorter than I normally wear, but I bought it anyway because it has built-in shorts), but it can be argued that it’s highlighting my neck and my bust as well.
T-shirt: Forever21, remixed
Skirt: thrifted (it’s another one whose tag says “14″, as in “14 years old.” That’s another thing I like about my short legs. They allow me to wear kid’s clothes! OK, maybe not kids. But young teens.)
Shoes: Payless thrifted, remixed
Belt: Wet Seal